Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Holiday Season

Once again the holiday season has come and gone, more food eaten and cooked than is necessary, but hey, its the holidays!  That magical time from Thanksgiving to New Years is truly a great time... you've got a great excuse to cook, eat and relish in company.  This holiday season I was unable to be at home for Thanksgiving, so my holiday cooking was made up at Christmas time (which my parents flew me home from Chicago for).  Before I left Chicago however, I made some white chip chocolate cookies with a peppermint drizzle... I was in the Christmas spirit even before I step onto the plane! 

After I cooked Thanksgiving last year (2009) I was told in no uncertain terms by my nephew Brandon, that I was to always cook the turkey.  Which I take as a compliment, since Brandon has a somewhat picky palate.  Since I wasn't home for Thanksgiving, This posed a problem... or so you would think.  My sister Sara took her son Brandon to the store, they picked out a turkey for me to cook over Christmas.  Did I mention Brandon picked out a 22 pounder!!
So when I got home, I began preparations for this behemoth of a turkey.  I used my standard fall back turkey recipe, its a salt herb rub that permeates the meat and keeps it moist while roasting.  There was more than enough to go around.  Instead of having another Thanksgiving dinner though, we made turkey sandwiches...

With all kinds of sides and desserts.  Like I said, there was probably enough to feed a small neighborhood.  But isn't that what the holiday's are about, having an excuse to spend time with family and friends... and there is always the food.

Since I was home, I wanted to bake with my mom... (in case ya'll didn't know, mothers always know how to bake!).  So we made all kinds of appetizers, meals, desserts.  It goes on and on,  but I really wanted to bake some homemade bread with my mom.  It turned out better than I'd ever made it...

Nearing the end of the holiday season, we cooked a ham, made some mashed potatoes, and I made a non-alcoholic punch.  You see, punch is in... everywhere I look, old time drinks are making a comeback.
From old cocktails and preparation methods to drinks in general.  I think it turned out well and everyone enjoyed it.

So when the next holiday season approaches, get out your knives, whisks and recipes and cook food till you can't cook anymore, and relish in the company that surrounds you.  Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment