Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chicago style Hot dog

I am in the process of moving... which means, im sick, all my stuff is in boxes, i have no job and my car is in the shop... So I have free time to blog, go through pictures and generally waste time.  I just posted about Gino's East pizza, which for the price probably wasn't the best... however Portillo's Chicago style hot dog is amazing, and mind boggling at the same time.  From what i've learned a traditional style Chicago dog is a kosher, all beef frankfurter, topped with yellow mustard, sweet relish, a dill pickle spear, a couple sport peppers, and tomato slices, sprinkled with some celery salt and serve it on a poppy seed bun.  Is your mind blown yet... because that is alot of stuff for one hot dog... but it is amazing!  Enough said.  A few years ago, I believe after Norman's first trip to Chicago, we were cooking out and he was going on and on about making our hot dogs Chicago dogs.  I thought whatever, you can put what ever you want on it, i'll stick to ketchup, chili, cheese and maybe some diced onions.  I understand Norman's conviction now!  You wouldn't think all those ingredients would work, and they are physically hard to eat, so much stuff they just fall apart, but if you can manage to get a bite with all those flavors.... um, well my mouth is drooling, which is quite an accomplishment since im sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment